Professional Accountancy Organization Development Committee
The PAO Development Committee’s focus is on addressing the challenges facing the development of strong professional accountancy organizations (PAOs) in emerging and developing countries. It brings together individuals from both developed and developing nations, who drive an agenda to raise awareness of accountancy, bring attention to the need for a formal profession, and highlight the economic and social benefits that a formal profession can bring.
- The May 2012 PAO Development Committee meeting will held on May 12-13, 2013 in Accra, Ghana. The meeting will immediately precede the Second African Congress of Accountants, themed Africa’s Economic Growth, Accountability and Democracy, which will take place on May 14-16, 2013.
- IFAC’s Compliance Advisory Panel (CAP) meeting was held in Bangkok, Thailand, April 8-9, adjacent to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Federation of Accountants Council meeting. The scheduling allowed both AFA and the Thai Federation of Accounting Professions, and IFAC member, to present to the CAP. Additionally, a joint workshop session focused on the revised Statements of Membership Obligations (SMOs) and the SMO Action Planning process was also held, allowing AFA member bodies to share ideas and discuss their own approaches to addressing the SMOs. While in the region, IFAC staff also took the opportunity to hold individual meetings with existing and potential member bodies from across the region and, following the meeting, traveled to the Philippines to conduct a seminar hosted by the Philippine Institute for Certified Public Accountants.
PAO DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE RESOURCES
- Establishing and Developing a Professional Accountancy Body
This Good Practice Guidance covers the roles and responsibilities of a PAO, education and examinations structures, and capacity development.
- Tools and Resources to Support the Development of the Accounting Profession
Supplementary Good Practice Guidance for PAOs, including case studies and practical illustrations.
- Mentoring Insights - The Mentor Perspective Event Summary
A summary of discussions held at the workshop in Dubai, UAE, on February 17, 2012.
MOSAIC MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
MOSAIC is a historic Memorandum of Understanding that sets out the basis for improving cooperation and collaboration between IFAC, international donors, and the international development community by providing the foundation for increasing the capacity of PAOs and improving the quality of financial management systems in emerging economies. Learn More
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountant (ACCA), 100 Drivers of Change for the Global Accountancy Profession (includes the 10 "must dos" for businesses and the profession)
- CReCER Community of Practice
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) and Corpul Expertilor Contabili si Contabililor Autorizati din Romania, The Role and Structure of Professional Bodies: Current and Future Challenges
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland, A Professional Judgement Framework for Financial Reporting: An International Guide for Preparers, Auditors, Regulators, and Standard Setters
- The World Bank Centre for Financial Reporting Reform (CFRR), Vienna, Austria
- The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) Intergovernmental Working Group of Experts on International Standards of Accounting and Reporting (ISAR)