Kumar Raghu joined the IFAC Board in November 2014. He was nominated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). Mr. Raghu was elected ICAI president for the year 2014-2015. Having gained deep insights into the profession as a fellow member of the ICAI with more than 23 years of membership and served as vice president of the ICAI for 2013-2014.
Mr. Raghu represents ICAI on various committees and boards, including:
- National Advisory Committee on Accounting Standards (NACAS) of Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA), Government of India;
- Board of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA);
- Audit Advisory Board and Government Accounting Standards Advisory Board (GASAB) both constituted by Comptroller and Auditor General (C&AG) of India;
- Quality Review Board, an independent audit regulator for public interest entities;
- Governing Council of National Foundation for Corporate Governance (NFCG); and
- Governing Body of the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
He has also been the member of the Task Force in the Ministry of Corporate Affairs in regard to the Plan Budget of the Ministry for the 12th Five Year Plan and also represented the ICAI in the Advisory Committee on Mutual Funds of Security and Exchange Board of India. He had also been nominated as ICAI representative on the MCA 21 Stakeholders Committee constituted by Ministry of Corporate Affairs for ensuring continuous improvement in service delivery under MCA 21.
Known for his technology-driven initiatives for ICAI, Mr. Raghu had earlier been elected to the Membership Development Committee of Extensible Business Reporting Language (XBRL) International and also appointed as Director of XBRL India (Section 25 Company) as a nominee of ICAI to promote the use of XBRL in India.
He has represented the Indian accountancy profession’s views in various meetings and programs of IFAC, the South Asian Federation of Accountants (SAFA), the Confederation of Asian and Pacific Accountants (CAPA), and many other international bodies. He is also the chairman of the Committee on Education, Training & CPD of SAFA, a member of the CAPA board, and technical advisor to the SAFA president.
Mr. Raghu has attended and contributed to numerous national and international seminars and conferences on the issues of professional interest, commendably demonstrating his passion for the profession and its core concerns.