by Fayez Choudhury, IFAC CEO | February 12, 2014 | 2
Welcome to the Global Knowledge Gateway, IFAC’s newly minted global hub for accountancy news, views, resources, and thought leadership from IFAC, our member organizations, and other notable groups and individuals. The Gateway is the result of a nearly year-long project to answer the call to better leverage our position as the global accountancy organization. It has been designed to serve our member organizations by allowing them to showcase and share their valuable resources with a broader, global audience of professional accountants, and to help them better serve their members.
The Gateway is a place for professional accountants to:
- Access resources from around the world;
- Learn about emerging areas of the profession like sustainability and integrated reporting;
- Stay connected to the most pressing accountancy issues and news of the day; and
- Interact by exchanging views, making recommendations, and sharing what they find with their own social networks.
The impetus for the Gateway actually started several years prior to initiating this project. A 2009 review of IFAC’s service delivery emphasized the importance of sharing knowledge, ideas, and experiences to serve, in particular, our member organizations’ professional accountants in business (PAIBs) and practitioners in small- and medium-sized practices (SMPs). The Gateway will initially focus on key PAIB topic areas.
Since 2005 IFACnet, IFAC’s custom search engine, has provided results from IFAC, participating member bodies, and other organizations around the world. By searching a custom group of websites, IFACnet helps find relevant results and cut through the information overload from the vast array of online resources. The Global Knowledge Gateway takes this concept a step further by creating a single global hub for aggregating news, views, resources, and thought leadership from around the world and bringing it all together in an accessible way.
- Viewpoints—like this one—are thought-provoking pieces that will share perspectives and opinions from thought leaders and influential voices in the global accountancy and business communities. Scroll down to Login/Register and join the conversation.
- Accountancy News—From major news outlets as well as online press rooms of IFAC and its members, this curated newsfeed features general accountancy news on the Gateway landing page and topical accountancy news on the corresponding topic pages.
- Resources—Featured on each topic page, this aggregated list includes resources from IFAC, our members, and related international and national bodies, with descriptions and links to both source and resource (hosted on source/third-party site). Resources can be filtered by subcategory, source, and type. Click “Recommend” to endorse those you’ve found most valuable.
- Discussions—Featured on each topic page, these discussion starters also serve as highlights of significant developments in each topic area. Click through to join the discussion via comment box at the end. Click “Recommend” to endorse those you’ve found most relevant.
- Search—Search boxes (found on the Gateway landing page and each topic page) can help you find what you’re looking for; you can toggle to find results from the specific topic or from the entire Gateway. In addition, filters on each topic page can be used to narrow down the resources displayed.
- Upcoming Events—This list on the Gateway landing page highlights future events happening around the world that professional accountants may wish to attend or follow.
- Keep Updated—Log in or register from each topic page to receive the Gateway newsletter to stay updated on new news, discussions, and resources for the topics that you select.
- Suggest a Resource, News Item, Event, or Discussion Topic—Featured on each topic page, these fields encourage visitors to the Gateway to suggest links and content to add to the site.
Where do I start?
We invite you to explore, read, search, and engage. We hope that you’ll gain some knowledge and insights, and that you’ll share the Gateway and the useful resources you’ve discovered with your colleagues and social networks. If you haven’t already, we recommend that you register on the IFAC website. This will allow you to get the most out of the Gateway—join discussions, pose questions, and contribute your perspective; suggest resources, news items, or events; and subscribe to receive updates on the topics that matter most to you.
We look forward to working together to make the Gateway an essential knowledge database and community for the international accountancy profession.
As always, we welcome your feedback. Please join the conversation.
Do you have a perspective you'd like to share with the global profession? Email Gateway@ifac.org to inquire about becoming a Gateway contributing author.
Help IFAC improve the Global Knowledge Gateway.
Click to recommend this article.