- 2010 Translations Achievements--Official UN Languages
- Other Translations Activities
- What to Watch for in 2011
- Russian Translations Meeting
- Trados Translation Memory Software
- Request for Translation Proposals
- Important Points Regarding IFAC Translations; Q&As and other Resources
- IFAC Job Posting: Associate, Translations and Permissions
- Arabic--An Arabic translation of the Handbook of International Quality Control, Auditing, Review, Other Assurance, and Related Services Pronouncements - 2010 Edition and the Handbook of the Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants - 2010 Edition were published by the Arab Society of Certified Accountants (Jordan).
The Arabic language translation of the IFAC Professional Accountants in Business Committee publication,Defining and Developing an Effective Code of Conduct for Organizations (June 2007), was completed by the Saudi Organization for Certified Public Accountants.
- Chinese--The Chinese translation of the Handbook of International Quality Control, Auditing, Review, Other Assurance, and Related Services Pronouncements - 2010 Edition and the Handbook of the Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants - 2010 Edition is being performed by the Chinese Institute of Certified Public Accountants (CICPA).
In addition, a translation of the Handbook of International Public Sector Accounting Pronouncements - 2010 Edition is in progress by the China Financial and Economic Publishing House, on behalf of the Ministry of Finance of the People's Republic of China.
Information about Chinese translations of the IFAC Professional Accountancy Organization Development Committee (formerly the Developing Nations Committee) publication, Good Practice Guide: The Education, Training, and Development of Accounting Technicians (2009), and the IFAC Professional Accountants in Business Committee publication, Financial Reporting Supply Chain-Current Perspectives and Directions(2008), performed by CICPA has been posted on the IFAC Translations Database.
- French--Several IFAC member bodies collaborated to produce a single, high-quality French translation of the Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants (July 2009) of the International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants (IESBA). See more about this achievement in the most recent version of IFAC News.
CGA-Canada has published a French translation of the IFAC Small and Medium Practices (SMP) Committee publication Guide to Quality Control for Small- and Medium-Sized Practices - Second Edition(July 2010).
- Russian--The Chamber of Auditors of the Republic of Kazakhstan is translating the Handbook of International Standards on Auditing and Quality Control - 2009 Edition into both Russian and Kazakh.
The Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Kazakhstan is translating the Handbook of International Public Sector Accounting Pronouncements - 2010 Edition into both Russian and Kazakh.
Russian translations of the SMP Committee publication, Guide to Quality Control for Small- and Medium-Sized Practices (March 2009), and the Framework for International Education Standards for Professional Accountants (December 2009) of the International Accounting Education Standards Board (IAESB) were performed by the Collegium of Auditors (Kazakhstan).
- Spanish--The Latin American Review Committee, coordinated by the Federación Argentina de Consejos Profesionales de Ciencias Económicas and including participants from IFAC member bodies in numerous Latin American countries, has completed the review of the translation of the IAASB Glossary of Terms performed by the translating bodies of Spain--Instituto de Censores Jurados de Cuentas de España (ICJCE) and Instituto de Contabilidad y Auditoría de Cuentas (ICAC)--and is in the process of reviewing the translations of the individual ISAs and ISQC 1 performed by the two Spanish bodies. The goal is to publish, during the first part of 2011, a Spanish language translation of the 2009 IAASB Handbook that is acceptable for use in Spain and Latin America.
ICJCE has completed a Spanish language translation of the revised Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants (July 2009) and is in the process of finalizing its review
- Translations of the IAASB's clarified standards have been published in numerous European languages, including Croatian, Czech, German, Finnish, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovakian, Slovenian and Swedish. Translations of the clarified standards into other official languages of the European Union have been completed and are presently subject to finalization of the review by the European Commission's Directorate General of Translations (DGT), prior to their publication.
- Numerous translations of the revised IESBA Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants, various SMP Committee implementation guidance documents, and other publications issued by IFAC have been performed. Please see the IFAC Translations Database for more information.
- Planned publication by the Arab Society of Certified Accountants (Jordan) of the Arabic translation of theHandbook of International Public Sector Accounting Pronouncements - 2010 Edition
- Planned publication by IFAC of the following policy statements/positions in the five official UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish):
- Policy for Reproducing, or Translating and Reproducing, Publications Issued by the International Federation of Accountants (December 2008)
- Policy for Translating and Reproducing Standards Issued by the International Federation of Accountants(December 2008)
- Modifications to International Standards of the International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board (IAASB) - A Guide for National Standard Setters that Adopt the IAASB's International Standards but Find It Necessary to Make Limited Modifications (Policy Position, July 2006)
- Translations of the IAASB's clarified standards in the other official languages of the European Union, to be published upon completion of the DGT review (including major world languages such as French, German, Italian, and Spanish)
- Planned publication of a Russian translation of the Handbook of International Standards on Auditing and Quality Control - 2009 Edition by the Chamber of Auditors of the Republic of Kazakhstan and Handbook of the Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants - 2010 Edition, being performed the Siberian Academy of Finance and Banking (Private Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education) (SAFB) and reviewed by representatives of various IFAC member bodies
- Possible Spanish language translations of certain SMP Committee implementation guides and the 2010 edition of the Handbook of International Public Sector Accounting Pronouncements (the latter with proposed funding by the World Bank)
- Possible translations of IFAC's Professional Accountancy Organization Development Committee's updated Toolkits into selected official UN languages
- Arabic, Chinese, or French translations of the Handbook of International Education Pronouncements - 2010 Edition
- Updated French translation of the Handbook of International Public Sector Accounting Pronouncements - 2010 Edition (the most recent French translation of the IPSASB Handbook is the 2007 edition)
- IFAC's publications are copyrighted material. Please refer to our relevant policy statements on www.ifac.org/about-ifac/translations-database and always ask permission before reproducing or translating any IFAC publications. You can ask for permission by contacting email@example.com.
- IFAC member bodies and other stakeholders are among our best resources for keeping the Translations Database up to date. Always feel free to alert us to any errors or issues.
- Use your fellow IFAC members and stakeholders as a resource in your reproduction and translation efforts. Cooperating with other IFAC bodies helps to reduce duplication of efforts and leads to more efficient use of existing resources. You will also find a helpful Questions and Answers (Q&A) document on our website:www.ifac.org/about-ifac/translations-permissions.
Newsletters & eNews
Jan 01, 2011
Translations & Permissions eNews: January 2011
Below you will find an update of recent and upcoming IFAC Translations & Permissions news. One of IFAC's primary objectives is to develop high-quality standards and guidance that enable accountants worldwide to provide services of consistently high-quality in the public interest. To achieve this objective, IFAC strives to make its publications widely available by enabling individuals to freely download them from itswebsite and permitting interested parties to reproduce and translate them.
In this Issue
1. 2010 Translations Achievements--Official UN Languages
We continue to encourage a single, high-quality translation per language. The following are highlights in regard to translation of standards and other documents published by IFAC into the official languages of the United Nations (UN). More information can be found in the IFAC Translations Database at www.ifac.org/about-ifac/translations-permissions/translations-database.
2. Other Translations Activities
3. What to Watch for in 2011
The following is an overview of some developments to watch for in 2011:
In connection with the 2010 World Congress of Accountants in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, IFAC hosted a meeting regarding the possibility of developing a single, high-quality Russian language translation of the IAASB's clarified standards that would be recognized by all Russian-speaking countries. Representatives of 14 organizations (mainly IFAC member bodies and associates) representing eight countries participated in the meeting.
There was strong interest in creating a multinational Russian language Review Committee to work towards this goal. By combining expertise and pooling resources, participating organizations will be able to achieve synergies and sustainable translation processes, thereby facilitating adoption and implementation of the clarified standards in individual countries.
5. Trados Translation Memory Software
IFAC's Translations function has recently commenced populating the translation memory software Trados with key terms and certain translated content. In addition to providing a central repository of translations, Trados will enable the creation of translation assets and development of sustainable translation processes. By storing translated content once in Trados, it will be possible to share and reutilize that content, thereby reducing processing time and the need to perform multiple or new translations. It will also enhance consistency in the use of translated terminology.
IFAC's member bodies and associates are encouraged to use Trados where possible to enhance the quality and efficiency of their translations and to more easily and effectively collaborate in regard to translations of standards and publications issued by IFAC. Please contact IFAC staff with questions or for relevant information.
6. Request for Translation Proposals
IFAC would especially welcome translation proposals for the following standards:
7. Important Points Regarding IFAC Translations; Q&As and other Resources
8. IFAC Job Posting: Associate, Translations and Permissions
IFAC is presently searching for an Associate for its Translations and Permissions function. The associate will support a wide range of activities, including using translation memory software to build translation assets, participating in/managing translation projects as appropriate, permission and contract management for translation and reproduction agreements, developing routines and processes, and assisting in the strategic development of the Translations and Permissions Department. For more information, please click here:
IFAC (www.ifac.org) is the global organization for the accountancy profession, dedicated to serving the public interest by strengthening the profession and contributing to the development of strong international economies. It is comprised of 164 members and associates in 125 countries and jurisdictions, representing approximately 2.5 million accountants in public practice, education, government service, industry, and commerce.