Press Releases/News Alerts, Press Releases
Feb 08, 2019
New York, New York
Find more news & events related to:
Global Consultation on Quality Management for Firms and Engagements Now Open
The International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board (IAASB) seeks public comment by July 1, 2019 on three interrelated standards that address quality management. The proposals bring important changes to the way professional accountancy firms are expected to manage quality—for audits, reviews, and other assurance and related services engagements.
The proposed standards include a new proactive risk-based approach to effective quality management systems within firms that establish the foundation for consistent engagement quality. The new approach improves the scalability of the standards because it promotes a system tailored to the nature and circumstances of the firm and its engagements.
The IAASB proposals are intended to improve engagement quality through:
- Modernizing the standards for an evolving and increasingly complex environment, including addressing the impact of technology, networks, and use of external service providers;
- Increasing firm leadership responsibilities and accountability, and improving firm governance;
- More rigorous monitoring of quality management systems and remediating deficiencies;
- Enhancing the engagement partner’s responsibility for audit engagement leadership and audit quality; and
- Addressing the robustness of engagement quality reviews, including engagement selection, documentation, and performance.
Given the significance of the changes and the need for firms to adjust how they manage quality, the IAASB has also developed draft guidance and tools, such as examples and frequently asked questions. These materials will help firms understand the proposals, including how to apply them in different circumstances.
- Overall Explanatory Memorandum, The IAASB’s Exposure Drafts for Quality Management at the Firm and Engagement Level, Including Engagement Quality Reviews
- Proposed International Standard on Quality Management 1, Quality Management for Firms that Perform Audits or Reviews of Financial Statements, or Other Assurance or Related Services Engagements (previously ISQC 1)
- Proposed International Standard on Quality Management 2, Engagement Quality Reviews
- Proposed International Standard on Auditing 220 (Revised), Quality Management for an Audit of Financial Statements
Comments on the Exposure Drafts are requested by July 1, 2019.
About the IAASB
The IAASB develops auditing and assurance standards and guidance for use by all professional accountants under a shared standard-setting process involving the Public Interest Oversight Board, which oversees the activities of the IAASB, and the IAASB Consultative Advisory Group, which provides public interest input into the development of the standards and guidance. The structures and processes that support the operations of the IAASB are facilitated by the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC). For copyright, trademark, and permissions information, please go to permissions or contact email@example.com