IFAC’s vision is a global accountancy profession recognized as valued leader in the development of strong and sustainable organizations, financial markets, and economies. IFAC works with more than 175 member organizations in more than 130 countries and jurisdictions, representing almost 3 million accountants in public practice, education, government and commerce, to realize this vision. IFAC recognizes the contribution of strong and effective professional accountancy organizations (PAOs) to this vision; PAO capacity building is therefore an important strategic objective for IFAC.
The IFAC PAO Capacity Building Program supports the development and growth of PAOs around the world. By working with IFAC’s global stakeholders—PAOs, international donors, the international development community, others—the Program works to solve the global need for growth and development of the accountancy profession, all in support of the public interest.
The Program draws on a wealth of knowledge and experience, including:
- IFAC’s detailed understanding of the current status and needs of the accountancy profession in approximately 200 countries
- Reliable assessments of professional accountancy organizations (PAOs) and the accountancy profession against the IFAC Statements of Membership Obligations (SMOs)
- IFAC PAO Development Committee members, representing all regions of the world
- IFAC’s relationships with:
- Member bodies experienced in PAO capacity building and, in particular, PAO-to-PAO partnering
- Multinational accounting firms, through the Forum of Firms
- Regional organizations and accountancy groupings
- The international development community and, in particular, the World Bank Reports on the Observance of Standards and Codes (ROSCs)
- The PAO Global Development Report
For information, including the process for reporting a concern, see IFAC’s Whistleblower Policy for Donor-Funded Programs.