Press Releases/News Alerts, News Alerts
Jun 11, 2018
IAESB Accounting Education Forum: Lessons from East Africa
The Accounting Education Forum, Partnering for Quality Accounting Education and Practice - Lessons from East Africa, was held on April 17, 2018 in Nairobi, Kenya, jointly hosted by the International Accounting Education Standards Board (IAESB), Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) and Kenya Accountants and Secretaries National Examination Board (KASNEB). The event drew more than 100 delegates from across the African region.
Following brief introductions from ICPAK Chairman Julius Mwatu and KASNEB Chief Executive Officer Puis M. Nduatih, as well as IAESB Chair Chris Austin, the Forum featured the IES-implementation challenges and opportunities experienced by six professional accountancy organizations in East Africa. In sharing these experiences, as well as the path to becoming a professional accountant in each country, attendees explored key implementation learnings, and provided additional feedback for the IAESB on practical implementation.
The Forum also featured a panel on IAESB focus areas, specifically:
- the learning outcomes approach and the importance of output-based measures, presented by IAESB Deputy Chair Anne-Marie Vitale;
- IES implementation support’s value, presented by IAESB Member Isaac Njuguna; and
- the importance of Continuing Professional Development for all professional accountants, presented by IAESB Member Susan St. Amant.
Summarizing the main themes from the day, IAESB Member Bernard Agulhas highlighted the importance of young people to the profession’s future and the rapid rate of change throughout the business world—which link to the IAESB continuing efforts to be responsive to stakeholders around the world.
The Forum was formally closed by Edwin Makori, IAESB Technical Advisor and Chief Executive Officer of ICPAK, who highlighted the need for all professional accountants to keep abreast of changes.
The IAESB wishes to thank those professional accountancy organizations that participated in the Forum and shared their experiences and learnings:
- Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya
- Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Rwanda
- Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda
- Kenya Accountants and Secretaries National Examinations Board
- National Board of Accountants and Auditors, Tanzania
- Ordre Des Professionnels Comptables (Burundi)