Linda de Beer
Country: South Africa
Linda de Beer was appointed as chair of the Public Interest Oversight Board (PIOB) in April 2020. She is a Chartered Accountant SA, a Chartered Director SA and holds a Master’s degree in taxation. She is an independent non-executive director and has been serving on the boards of South African listed companies for the past ten years.
Ms. de Beer is an honorary professor (professor in practice) at the University of Johannesburg and previously held, for ten years, an adjunct professorship on a part time basis at the University of the Witwatersrand. She also currently serves on the Quality Control Assessment Committee of the Auditor-General of South Africa and the Issuers’ Regulation Advisory Committee of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.vernance advice to various corporates on technical reporting, auditing and governance matters. In 2019, she co-authored a book with Mervyn King on the future of the auditing profession, The Auditor: Quo Vadis?
Some of her previous positions held include membership of the following:
- Deputy chair, independent director, independent non-executive director, and chairman of the audit committee of numerous listed companies.
- Chairman of the Consultative Advisory Group of the International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board (2011–2015), after being a member of the CAG from 2007. At the same time, she also served on the CAG of the International Ethics Standards Board.
- Investor Advisory Group of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board in the US
- King Committee on Corporate Governance in South Africa (and a member of the King IV Task Team), from which she resigned in 2020
- Financial Reporting Investigations Panel of the JSE (chairman)
- Governing Body of Chartered Director (SA), under the Institute of Directors of Southern Africa
- Member of Committee for Auditing Standards of the Independent Regulatory Board for Auditors, representing the JSE (2007-2016)
- Member of Financial Reporting Standards Council, established in terms of the Companies Act, 2008, representing the JSE
- Senior Executive: Standards at the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (2001–2007)