CIPFA International Seminar 2015, Raising Standards for Government Accounting
Jul 07, 2015 | London, UK | English
Since the crisis, financial regulations the world over are being revised to ensure banks are more transparent and better able to deal with financial shocks. However there has been no corresponding drive to better manage government balance sheets for the long term, not least because very few governments would be able report on anything other than a cash basis. This demonstrates how urgently the quality of financial management in governments around the world needs sustained and well-designed reform, including those governments who have moved to adopt the accrual basis of reporting.
To address these issues, the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) is hosting its first ever International Seminar to highlight the importance of sound public financial management and reporting in a robust, transparent government accounting practice, in the public interest, and consider how the accountancy profession can play a role in addressing the quality of public sector financial management.
The seminar on July 7 in London will include global experts, highlighting relevant examples and initiatives that promote effective and efficient management of public finances, including:
- Fayezul Choudhury, IFAC CEO
- Paul Kazarian, Founder, Chairman and CEO, Japonica Partners
- Alta Prinsloo, Executive Director, Strategy, and Chief Operating Officer, IFAC
- Olivier Boutellis-Taft, Chief Executive, Federation of European Accountants
- Ian Ball, Chair, CIPFA International
- Mark Lowcock, Permanent Secretary, UK Department for International Development
- Fred Moore, Chief Executive Officer, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ghana
- Chidi Ajaegbu, Past-President, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria
Additional information, including registration details, is available on the CIPFA website.
See IFAC CEO Fayez Choudhury discuss the Accountability. Now. campaign which represents a coalition of organizations that believe in the importance of enhancing the accountability and transparency of government financial management around the world.