Train the Trainer: Introduction to IPSAS
November 9, 2020
Implementation of accrual accounting in the public sector is a significant priority across many jurisdictions. Accrual accounting promotes more transparency, improves accountability and provides better information for decision-making purposes. According to the International Public Sector Financial Accountability Index, in 2020 only 30% of governments in the 165 jurisdictions included in the Index reported on an accruals basis, but this is projected to increase to 50% by 2025 and 73% by 2030.
To assist governments and government entities wishing to report in accordance with the accrual based International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS), IFAC has developed Train the Trainer: Introduction to IPSAS, a package of training materials that provide an introduction to the current suite of IPSAS.
The course is aimed primarily at entities currently using a cash basis of accounting and transitioning to accrual IPSAS. The materials are designed to be used flexibly by trainers and can be tailored to the needs of training participants.
How to use the materials
Click here to access the guide to using these materials.
A video explainer of the materials is also available by clicking here.
The course is structured over ten modules and each module is broken down into topics that are, as far as possible, stand alone, so that they can be delivered as individual sessions. Each module consists of a training manual and an accompanying set of slide decks (one slide deck per topic).
- Advantages of Accrual Accounting
- Introduction to Assets – Typical Public Sector Assets
- Property, Plant and Equipment
- Intangible Assets
- Service Concession Arrangements
- Investment Property
- General Liabilities
- Employee Benefits: Short-term, Long-term & Termination Benefits
- Employee Benefits: Post-employment Benefits
- Introduction to Revenues
- Revenue from Exchange Transactions
- Revenue from Non-exchange Transactions: Taxes
- Revenue from Non-exchange Transactions: Transfers
- IPSASB Proposals for Revenue
- Social Benefits
- Collective and Individual Services
- IPSASB Proposals for Transfer Expenses
- Core Concepts (IPSAS 29)
- Hedging & Derivatives (IPSAS 29)
- Disclosures (IPSAS 29)
- Core Concepts (IPSAS 41)
- Hedging & Derivatives (IPSAS 41)
- Disclosures (IPSAS 41)
- Public Sector Combinations
- Financial Statements
- Cash Flow Statement
- Related Party Disclosures
- Budget Information
- Foreign Exchange
- First-time Adoption of Accrual Basis IPSAS
- Practical Issues
- Conceptual Framework
- Recommended Practice Guidelines
- Financial Reporting under the Cash Basis of Accounting