IFAC, in conjunction with the ASEAN Federation of Accountants, Confederation of Asian and Pacific Accountants, South Asian Federation of Accountants, and Jeju Group, hosted a virtual two-day Sustainability Summit in September for the accountancy profession and other stakeholders in the Asia Pacific region.
With the release of the International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB) IFRS S1 and IFRS S2 and the International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board (IAASB) proposed International Standard on Sustainability Assurance (ISSA 5000), the summit helped raise awareness and amplify regional voices about the surging demand for, and the evolution of, high-quality sustainability reporting and its assurance.
Watch the recordings of both days of the summit, including a separate recording of the IAASB session, below.
Day 1 focused on the arrival of ISSB’s S1 and S2, with a presentation from Mr. Hiroshi Komori, ISSB Member, and a panel of regional stakeholders who are actively involved in developing local mechanisms for requiring sustainability disclosures. The discussion included their experience and the roadmap to adopt international standards.
Day 2 focused on raising awareness of the IAASB’s proposed ISSA 5000 and current status of sustainability reporting assurance. It included a video presentation from IAASB Chair Tom Seidenstein and informative session led by IAASB Vice-Chair Ms. Josephine Jackson, who was joined by IAASB members Ms. Sachiko Kai, Mr. William Edge, Mr. Warren Maroun and Mr. Chiew Chun Wee (please note the IAASB session is available as a separate video).
This session was followed by a presentation from Mr. David Madon, IFAC Director, on IFAC’s State of Play research series detailing global sustainability reporting and assurance practices. The summit concluded with a panel discussion on sustainability reporting assurance.
On behalf of the organizers, we would like to thank the following presenters and panelists:
- Ms. Pru Bennett, Partner, Brunswick Group
- Ms. Chan Yen San, Member, Singapore Sustainability Reporting Advisory Committee
- Mr. Chiew Chun Wee, IAASB Member
- Mr. William Edge, IAASB Member
- Datuk Kamarudin Hashim, Chair, Malaysia Advisory Committee on Sustainability Reporting
- Ms. Josephine Jackson, Vice-Chair, IAASB
- Dr. In-Ki Joo, Chair, Jeju Group
- Ms. Sachiko Kai, IAASB Member
- Mr. Hiroshi Komori, Member, ISSB
- Mr. Koichiro Kuramochi, Chief Accountant & Director for International Accounting, Financial Services Agency, Japan
- Mr. Geoff Kwan, Director, International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants
- Mr. David Madon, Director, IFAC
- Mr. Warren Maroun, IAASB Member
- Mr. Aucky Pratama, Executive Director, ASEAN Federation of Accountants
- Mr. Tom Seidenstein, Chair, IAASB
- Mr. Tan Ee Sin, Hong Kong and Macau Climate Change and Sustainability Services Partner, Financial Accounting Advisory Services Partner, EY & Hong Kong Chapter Chairperson – Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants
- Ms. Rosita Uli Sinaga, Chair, Task Force for Comprehensive Corporate Reporting, Institute of Indonesia Chartered Accountants
- Ms. Julia Tay, EY Asia-Pacific Public Policy Leader
- Mr. Benjamin Villacorte, Chair, Philippine Sustainability Reporting Committee
- Mr. Johnny Yong, Executive Director, Confederation of Asian and Pacific Accountants